The closer I get to Thanksgiving, the craftier I feel about the holidays. Not that I’m craft-tastic or even remotely craftilicious. But, what I lack in being able to do in crafts, I more than make up in thinking up crafts. Which brings me to Highlights Magazine and what those fine editors need (craft-wise) and in the activities/puzzle department:
One-page Activities of all kinds, up to 300 words, Linda Rose, Assistant Editor
- Indoor and outdoor games that involve exercise, creativity, and/or humor
- Activities and games that kids can do whether they’re on their own or with others
- Projects that will result in a new hobby or skill and/or a quality finished product
- Magic tricks
We prefer activities that require neither parental supervision nor materials kids aren’t likely to have handy.
Short Puzzles, Games, Recipes, and Activities, Manuscript Submissions
- Art activities
- World-cultures activities
- History and geography puzzles
- Logic puzzles
- Math puzzles
Any activities that easily lend themselves to strong visuals are a huge plus!
Crafts, Manuscript Submissions
- World-cultures crafts (general or holiday-specific)
- Crafts that encourage play (musical instruments, costumes, etc.)
- Crafts for all holidays except Valentine’s Day
Please send a photo or sample of the craft.
Send magazine submissions to
Highlights for Children
803 Church Street
Honesdale, PA 18431
Puzzlemania, our puzzle book club for children ages 6—10, is in need of word puzzles—crosswords, word searches, logic puzzles, word scrambles, and codes. For detailed submissions guidelines, visit www.Highlights.com. Go to About Us/Contributor Guidelines/Puzzles. Send puzzle submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Maybe you noticed that you need to send a sample of the craft. Trust me when I tell you that the fine editors are not looking for works of art. I think as long as you have a reasonable facsimile of your wonderful craft, you’ll be okay. Which is a good thing. Because the crafts I imagine never look as good as the crafts I make!